News

Please be aware of the dangers of button batteries!

Published: Tue, 29th June 2021, 10:00:00 AM

Please take extra care when using button batteries as they can cause potentially life threatening injuries if swallowed.

While this is dangerous to any child, the damage caused to an already compromised oesophagus could be even more severe.  If a button battery is swallowed follow these steps:

  • Go straight to A&E (in under four hours the swallowed battery can cause life threatening injuries)
  • Do not try to make the child vomit
  • Ensure they don't eat or drink

A full article, published by the British Association of Paediatric Surgeons (BAPS), adapted from an article written by Kate Cross, Consultant Neonatal and Paediatric Surgeon at Great Ormond Street Hospital and member of TOFS' Medical Advisory Group, can be viewed here.

© Tracheo-Oesophageal Fistula Support
TOFS is a Registered Charity in England and Wales (327735) and a Private Company Limited By Guarantee without Share Capital, registered in England and Wales (2202260).
Registered address: TOFS, St. George’s Centre, 91 Victoria Road, Netherfield, Nottingham NG4 2NN.
Website by Altido

Our team at TOFS is working tirelessly to bring you the latest advice regarding Coronavirus. The support and advice we provide are only possible thanks to kind donations from people like you. If you're able, please consider donating now.